Thursday, July 7, 2016

Mind over matters

"Yes, ALL lives matter
But we're focused on the black ones right now, OK?
Because it is very apparent that our judicial system 
doesn't know that.
Plus if you can't see why we are exclaiming 
'#BlackLivesMatter' - you are part of the problem."

Read this carefully. 

Read it slow; read it twice.

This is not a statement on exclusivity ... it's a call for equality; a cry for justice; it's a simple statement that if read without ANY prior prejudices, is straight to the point.

#Preach.

For those of you who know me, you know hate is not a part of my vocabulary. I see color ... you are a liar if you say you don't ... but it doesn't matter to me. That is until ANY color is being mistreated, ignored, attacked or killed. 

And when several individuals are being targeted - intentionally or unintentionally - and they are all the same color ... Houston, we have a problem.

Tonight ... it's Dallas where there is a problem. On Wednesday, it was Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and then St. Anthony, Minnesota. Last month it was Orlando. And the list goes on.

But when will it stop?

I'm the first person to stand behind the oh-so-popular, knee-jerk response that "ALL lives matter!" And if you're in agreement that all live matters, then you should be able to put your fears, biases, ignorances and/or any other condition that prompts you to reply how important ALL lives are to understand the racism scab has been scratched and is oozing a nasty puss that is poisoning those who are too selfish or too fearful to step outside their own skin to ask themselves, "How would I feel inside another person's skin?"

How would I feel if I was part of one of the LGBTQ communities?

How would I feel as a person of color?

How would I feel embracing a different faith? And the list goes on.

Now ask yourself, "How would I feel being a black person - an African-American individual - this very moment?"

And if you still can't see why we are exclaiming "Black Lives Matter" - you are - sadly - part of the problem.



No comments: