Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Say 'no' to black-face costumes by staying silent

Earlier today, I posted the following on my personal Facebook page:

No surprise ... it is getting mixed reviews.

I understand Halloween is known for being creative - more so in recent years - but does creativity mean you poke fun at someone? Does it mean you take what is historically a racially insensitive act to prove how little our country has moved forward when it comes to racial equality and acceptance?


This weekend, a "public figure" I follow on Facebook posted a photo of three white young people - late teens, early 20's, I'd say - who dressed as George Zimmerman, who I think is his estranged wife, Shellie Zimmerman, and the slain Trayvon Martin. Wearing a sweatshirt that read "Neighboroo Watch" (sic) and a blood-shot stained hoodie, "Zimmerman" held a finger pistol to "Trayvon's" head.

If that wasn't bad enough, the latter was in black face.

I chose not to report the photo to Facebook as the person who posted it, an African-American personality, was only trying to show her disgust in the photo.

But what so many don't realize is doing anything beyond ignoring an offensive post only promotes the post and bring more attention to it.

Photos can speak a thousand words.

Silence can say even more.

What are your thought?  Let me know @ http://fb.me/shadesmagazine

No comments: