Friday, July 12, 2013

Life changing experiences

The case has gone to the jurors.

In a matter of days (or possibly weeks) the world will learn the fate of George Zimmerman, 29, a former neighborhood watch coordinator who shot and killed Trayvon Martin - the Florida teen who was walking home on Feb. 26, 2012. 

Zimmerman's lawyer says no matter the verdict, "his (client's) life will never be the same."

‪#‎Seriously‬?!


What about Tracy Martin and Sabrina Fulton? They lost a son and for more than a year have been part of a media "circus" they never asked for. 

What about Jahvaris Fulton? The 22-year-old lost a brother and was "forced" to take the stand and listen to screams and yelling on the 911 tape of the shooting. Fulton - who like his parents identified the screams as Trayvon's - said he’d heard Trayvon yell before, “but not like that.” 

And what about the uncountable young black boys across the country who look to their own parents for reassurance that an incident like this will never happen to them.

I met Trayvon's family a few months after his death and although I don't know what they were like before that fateful day, I am still haunted by the sense of loss I felt as I held Sabrina Fulton's hand. And more than anything, I remember the sadness I saw when I looked in their eyes.
 
Now tell me again ... whose life will never be the same again?

No comments: