Friday, February 27, 2009

10.1 and climbing

In most cases – on a scale of one to 10 – the higher the number the better you are. Well, news is out that the state of California has gone beyond a 10 ... and that’s not a good thing.

In January, California’s unemployment rate hit 10.1 percent – the highest in 26 years. This comes during a time when close to two million people across the state are looking for work and the national rate is wavering at 7.6 percent.


There’s no quick solution and I admit, I don’t have an answer, but aren’t there ways to lower this number? In recent weeks, I’ve had two people tell me how their employer – in order to meet his or her own business needs – have reduced employee hours. Not unlike the furloughs many are experiencing in several industries, this reduction of hours may cut one’s pay, but it at least allows them to collect some form of paycheck.


It may mean readjusting your budget, or finding a second job/gig to make ends meet, but at least it’s better than an unemployment check – and the hassles that can come with that – or nothing at all.


It’s something to think about when “furlough fever” gets you down. Trust me, I wish I’d had gotten a fever over a pink slip.

No comments: