Monday, November 17, 2008

Why is it?

A friend and I were walking along recently only to be approached by someone who appeared to be less fortunate than us asking if we had any spare change.

“No … I’m sorry, I don’t,” I replied.


As we walked on by, my friend asked me my why is it that we answer panhandlers in this manner. I thought a minute and realized, I do always add the obligatory “sorry” in my reply and have heard many others do the same.


Are we really sorry we don’t have change? Or are we sorry for lying to the poor soul in front of us? Are we sorry for their current lot in life or do apologize for not believing they need a little help?


Hmmm … I wonder why it is …

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depending on the person, I think that one or more of your questions could apply. A situation like this often touches a person on so many levels. Many times it leaves me with the question of whether or not I really could have helped...just a little...

Alana said...

Ima giver :L
if I say sorry and decline to help, it taunts me.. so do I give to avoid feeling this way'selfishly'or give because selflessly ..I feel the need to help in some way? hmmm ;)